Thursday, August 6, 2009

Delivery, and Carson's 1st Week






What a week! Cory and I are so happy to finally have our sweet baby here with us. The journey has been long and sometimes diffucult but all the weight gain, heartburn, discomfort, fatique, lack of sleep (still ocurring) were well worth it.

The story...
We went to the hospital for our scheduled C-section on Sunday at 7AM. I wasn't able to sleep much the night before, I was awake at 3AM and never went back to sleep. We were prepped for surgery from 7-9AM. I was so nervous during the prep and the surgery, words can not describe it. I was so embarrassed during the prep b/c there are so many people (men included) who are coming in and out of the room, doing their different jobs which included me being on display naked from the waist down. Nothing really hurt during the prep and the surgery, the epidural was very uncomfortable but other than that, everything was easy to endure (until the next day).

The surgery began at 9:08 and Carson was born at 9:21. He weighed 7lbs 10 oz and was 20 inches long. It went very fast, I could only feel a little tugging and pressure at times. There were some menstrual-like cramps at the end, they weren't too bad. And by that time, I was listening to my baby crying so nothing was really bothering me. It was such a surreal moment to see Carson and also to hear him for the first time. Cory got to watch them "pull Carson out" and when Cory told me he was out we both cried like babies ourselves.

We then went to recovery and they ran some tests and bathed Carson beside me where we could see eachother and I could talk to him. I did get sick while in recovery but soon felt better and got to hold Carson.

We were sent to our room and began to see family all day. The first day was actually really easy for me. I had no pain b/c they kept the epidural in for 24 hours; btw epidurals or at least the one I got was not what I expected, I was able to move, lift myself a little, I was not paralyzed (I thought epidurals paralyzed you from the waist down).

That night however, things changed...After 12 hours I was able to get up w/ the help of 2 nurses; words can not describe this pain...but I will try: it was like my uterus was trying to lift a house.

The next day was very hard, they removed the epidural and started me on oral pain meds. The 1st pain med they tried made me sick and dizzy so we had to switch. I was usually fine after I got my pain meds, but it was SO hard and painful to stand up.

It was also hard emotionally because with all of my pain and reaction to meds, I wasn't able to feed Carson when I wanted and Cory had to do most of the work to take care of him at first. I hated feeling so helpless and I just wanted to take care of my baby but I couldn't at times. But it got better.

We got home on Wednesday, and Carson wasn't wanting to sleep by himself, so Cory and I surrendered him to the grandma's so we could get a couple hours of sleep. Then I woke up crying and having bad chills. I had a fever and bad headache. So we called the Dr and he wanted me to come in. Everything was fine, no infection...turns out it was just a fever due to my milk coming in. I felt much better once I got the fever down.

Carson is doing so good and is such a joy to have around, I want to hold him constantly, I have to remind myself to share. He had his 1st Pediatric apt today, and everything looks good.

I will be posting on our family blog from now on, so for updates on us go to www.andtheycallitpuppylove.blogsot.com.

Goodbye pregnancy blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your baby, he's adorable! So sweet!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations !!! He is adorable :)

Megan Ashley said...

Congrats! What a little cutie