Tuesday, July 14, 2009

36 weeks and 3 days, Dr. Apt, and baby products

Went to the Dr. today, met another Dr. in the practice who was very nice, I really liked him as well. Everything is looking good, Carson is still head down and unlikely to turn. The Dr. said I was "In the window" now so he explained what to do when I went into labor. I will be going every week now. This practice doesn't really do internal checks of dilation, effacement, etc...Since they don't induce labor until 42 weeks unless medically needed, there is no need for them to check me unless there are any concerns. They actually said that those manual checks are quite painful before week 38. After that they said they would check if I wanted them to (they said some women want to know, we'll see if I get curious)
I am really hoping that Carson isn't 2 weeks late; I have decided to take the 1st week of August as vacation then begin my maternity leave the next week. I am so tired of working, and when I come home, I am simply good for nothing. It is so hard just to cook dinner, and I can't remember the last time I did the dishes. I still do laundry b/c Cory despises laundry and at least I can sit down to fold clothes.


Ok Candace....I am not a mom yet, and I have little experience with babies (it has actually been 8 years since I have changed a diaper!), but here are a few things that I would recommend.
Oh, I agree w/ Becca about the dreft detergent and the formula dispenser. I have actually been washing our clothes with dreft since the baby will be in contact with our clothes as well, and plus it does smell really good.

I think Candace recommended these bottles a while back, I have not heard anything negative about them yet. I have other friends who use them and I saw many in the refrigerators at daycares I visited. If Carson doesn't like these then I will try Avent.






In the baby care class we went to, they showed us how to swaddle. The nurse there said that the best blankets are these larger flannel ones. I ordered some today, they go up to 24 months. This particular brand is carters and they are buy one get one 1/2 off on babies r us.com. I was also given a miracle blanket so I will be trying that as well.

In this class they also gave us a DVD of soothing techniques for babies, Cory and I have already watched it and I must say that there are things in there I never would have thought to do. The DVD is called the Happiest Baby on the Block. http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/

And now that I do have experience being pregnant here are a few things I recommend for moms to be.
  1. Gaucho pants: for me have been great, I use them as lounging/pj pants and lately now that I am so big I have been wearing them to work since they look a little dressier than denim.
  2. Pre-natals: I recommend women's one-a-day prenatal. Every Dr. and midwife I have seen said that over the counter pre-natals are fine. And these days they recommend that you have a prenatal that also has DHA. Well the one I was prescribed was about $60 per month, so I asked the pharmacist and did some pricing and this one is the best for me. Its only about $15 for a month, and it has everything I need.
  3. And lastly I suggest each pregnant couple take a vacation in the 2nd trimester. I didn't b/c I thought I would need my paid time off for being sick during pregnancy or exhaustion. Now I have a lot of vacation time and am SO burnt out at work.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Kimberly - Thanks so much for participating! It is so exciting to be in the "home stretch" too! A few comments:

1. Checks are painful. But I asked for it when I went because I couldn't stand not knowing. :)
2. We have a few of the Ventaire, and I have no complaints. Actually, I would definitely choose those over Dr. Brown's for my next baby. I'll be blogging that soon.
3. I wore Gaucho pants through my pregnancy too - fabulous for comfort.
4. Can't wait until I hear the news of Carson's arrival. Not much longer. In fact, I guessed the 27th. :)

Candace said...

Oh! And be sure to add your blog link to Mister Linky so others from my blog can benefit from your list. :)